A fan of mine

Some people get you right away and some people don't ever get you all.  One of my passions in life is to have and to hold precious objects. I enjoy displaying them in my home or cherishing them and keeping them to myself in a few special little places, hidden from everyone else. My children have found a few of my secret spots and they always asked; why are you keeping that? I would have to answer; Because it reminds me of a cherished moment and this object brings me back to a great feeling I felt at that moment"  
And this object......
In its original box
......will bring me back to great moments I have shared with a wonderful woman who visits us at the store.  I would like to tell you a little bit about her as you try and figure out what is in the box. 
with all its tattered and taped up edges. 
We laugh, we joke, we giggle, we even cry in the middle of the store universe. Hey! we are women, we are fabulous menopausal and we are allowed to have our mood swings as long as we have them all together. 

"Now don't try and sneak a peek"

 We enjoy her company immensely when she makes an appearance. 
We adore her as the wonderful woman she is. She has the greatest sense of humor, a very positive outlook on life,  loves the colour red, AND.... a fabulous artist "to boot". 

I love the wear and tear on this delicate box. It got a lot of use throughout the years. 

 Her humor and electric personality we have gotten to know and love is reflected in her art. It is a must see. Have a look at her  website.  She is an inspiration and "my biggest fan!"


She walks in one day and hands me this elegant fine object in its original box marked L. Bamberger & Co.  Very gently I open it and I am in AWWWWWEEE. It is over 100 years old and it was passed down to her through an elderly friend and now she has passed it on to me to have, to hold and to cherish. 



What was in the box? A fragile, elegant fan that belonged to a dainty woman of years gone by. I some times wonder what life must have been like all those years ago.   


I did a little research on the name; L. Bamberger & Co which was written on the box. I discovered it was one of America's great department stores. First one opened in 1893,  Newark, New Jersey.



In 1986, all Bamberger's stores were re-bannered as Macy's, and the Newark store operated as Macy's until it was closed in 1991


As an artist,  I can appreciate her dedication and wonderful work. Some day I will be true to my soul and paint again. It is a gift I have never taken for granted but I cherish it and will some day appreciate how it will fill my years and carry me through my days. I have countless ideas just bursting in my head.  In the meantime,  I have a greater passion to fulfill. So I Live vicariously through other artists and she is "One of my biggest FANS" 

Thank you for the wonderful gift. 

My words of inspiration for the day. 

Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.
Pamela Vaull Starr

Please leave a comment. Your words are my inspiration.
Caroline 
xx
Parties I will be joining:
The French Cupboard 

Comments

  1. What a beautiful and inspiring post. After reading this, I feel a great sense of peace. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.


    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That antique fan is ever so exquisite! I can picture a very gracious lady holding it in a black and white photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fan is absolutely stunning! She sounds like a wonderful friend and she clearly appreciates your friendship too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fan and its owners live on in this touching salute. Kudos to you for having the soul and taking the time to share. May the world learn from you. Beautiful images and sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! You're a historian at hart. My training was as a historian so I love these things.

    A little question: do you know of other decor blogs in the Montreal area??

    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fan and great story. Think how many of those old treasures that were discarded over the years.
    My husband keeps telling me I need to paint because I am gifted. When I had complications after a carpal tunnel surgery my hand was useless for about a year for anything like painting. Maybe you shouldn't put off your painting, you just never know if you will be healthy enough to do it in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is soooo beautiful, how lucky you are to be it's new 'guardian'.

    I just stumbled upon your blog thru an image on a Pinterest board, you are sharing some lovely things here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful fan and a beautifully written post. It was a pleasure to see and to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts